Tuesday, October 26, 2010

leading lines


This week while I have been reviewing some of my photos I began to focus more on flow and rhythm, and consciously look for these characteristics in some of my work. As you may know, when most people look at an image, they dont look at the whole image at once. They see different objects or features that lead the viewers eyes to different parts of the image. These can be different lines or objects that create a path or flow for the viewers eyes.

Notice on this image how the window lines on the building, as well as the roof, draw your eyes from left to right towards the center of the image where the two structures meet. The structure on the right plays a part in keeping your focus from going off of the page.

This may be the most simple and blatant example of leading lines. The car lights draw your eyes towards the back of the image, but the light on the rock at the back gives your eyes somewhere to rest.

1 comment:

  1. Leading lines are pretty interesting in pictures. In the first image above you mentioned that the lines on the building on the left of the picture lead the viewers eye from left to right into the picture. When I first looked at it I had the opposite reaction. I first saw the reflection on the building in the center and then the lines on the black building lead my view to the left of the picture, broadening my view. Once I read your comment below the picture and with thought to the leading lines drawing the viewer into the picture I can see why the viewer might look at it from left to right rather than the way I first saw it.
    The second picture may be a simple and common example of leading lines but no matter how many times I see long exposed pictures of car lights I still think they look cool :)

    ReplyDelete